On September 14, 2021, the Peralta Community College District Board of Trustees met for their first regular meeting since July 27th. While there was a lengthy agenda following their month off in August, it was a very efficient and productive meeting at just a bit over three hours. The full meeting recording is available on YouTube here.
The Chancellor's Report segment, featuring comments by Interim Chancellor Dr. Jannett N. Jackson, college updates from BCC President Dr. Angélica Garcia, COA President Dr. Nathaniel Jones III, Laney President Dr. Rudy Besikof, and Merritt President Dr. David M. Johnson; a brief update on our COVID vaccination policy by Interim Vice Chancellor of Human Resources Dr. Ronald McKinley, and an update on enrollment and the fraud prevention actions taken by the District from Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs and Student Success Dr. Siri Brown, is available on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/KTeYY4i3YeA. This 41-minute video is highly recommended, especially if you don't have time to watch the full three-hour meeting.
Please check out the Presidents' Reports for exciting news from each of the colleges:
There were some very important discussions and decisions made during the meeting. Perhaps most importantly, the Board approved the budget for Fiscal Year 2021-2022 which is required for us to operate. Adil Ahmed, Interim Vice Chancellor of Finance & Administration, gave a short presentation about the budget - those slides are available here while the full budget book is here. These documents are also posted on the Peralta website at https://web.peralta.edu/business/annual-adopted-budget/.
Dr. Janet Fulks, an accreditation consultant and retired California Community Colleges microbiology professor, provided a presentation about the Accreditation Follow Up Reports that are currently going through the collaborative governance process and are to be submitted by each college to ACCJC on October 1st. This was a reprise of the Town Hall presentation presented to the Peralta Community on August 30, 2021. The latest drafts of the Follow Up Reports and evidence are posted on the Peralta website at https://web.peralta.edu/accreditation/2021-accjc-reports/.
The Consent Calendar and the Action Items were each consolidated into one vote and approved unanimously. The Action Items approved included:
- The adoption of Peralta's COVID Prevention Plan which is also posted on the Safe Peralta website (https://safe.peralta.edu)
- COVID impact pay for faculty
- Tentative Agreement Between the District and the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 39, including a 5% Salary Increase and a One-Time COVID-19 Impact Pay
- Tentative Agreement Between the District and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 1021, including a 5% Salary Increase and a One-Time COVID-19 Impact Pay
- 5% Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) and a One-Time COVID-19 Impact Pay for Unrepresented PCCD Employees (Administrators and Confidential Classified Staff)
- Extension of our agreement with the Roots Clinic in Oakland to provide important healthcare services for students
- and much, much more...you can review the details in BoardDocs
President Napoli-Abella Reiss and Chancellor Jackson closed the meeting by recognizing Mr. Jim Stein, the chief engineer at Peralta TV on his retirement. Dr. Jackson said, "Please join me in congratulating Jim on his retirement tomorrow after more than 30 years as an employee here at the Peralta Community College District. Many of our Trustees know Jim for his years as the boardroom 'technical support guy.' Mark Johnson, Angel Hunter, Joe Sullivan and the Peralta TV team have assembled a short video honoring Jim we'd like to play for you now." Enjoy the video here. Thank you for thirty-one-derful years Jim!
The Board expressed their gratitude to everyone at Peralta - the faculty, classified professionals, and administrators - who are working so hard to support students in these challenging times. Thanks for all you do!